Over half the money raised from the carbon price is being used to assist households.
Clean Energy Future
A clean energy future is part of a long term plan to reshape our economy, cut carbon pollution, drive innovation, and help avoid the increased costs of delaying action on climate change.
The Australian Government is building a clean energy future
A better Australia for our children
The Government’s Plan for a clean energy future will cut pollution and drive investment in new clean energy sources, such as solar, gas and wind.
By acting now, Australians can look forward to long term prosperity, while protecting our environment for ourselves and for future generations.
The Government has a comprehensive plan to move to a clean energy future. This includes:
- introducing a carbon price
- promoting innovation and investment in renewable energy
- encouraging energy efficiency
- creating opportunities in the land sector to cut pollution.
The Government’s plan to move to a clean energy future will:
- dramatically cut pollution
- our clean energy plan will cut pollution by at least 5 per cent compared with 2000 levels by 2020, which will require cutting net expected pollution by at least 23 per cent in 2020
- this is equivalent to taking over 45 million cars off the road by 2020.
- by 2050 we are committing to cut pollution to 80 per cent below 2000 levels
- unleash innovation and investment worth billions of dollars in renewable energy
- large scale renewable electricity generation, excluding hydro, is projected to be 18 times its current size by 2050. Total renewable generation (including hydro) will comprise around 40 per cent of electricity generation in 2050
- transform our energy sector away from high polluting sources, like brown coal
- the Government will negotiate to close down 2000 megawatts of high-polluting coal-fired power generation, creating space for new clean energy supplies
- store millions of tonnes of carbon in the land through better land and waste management
- between now and 2050, around 460 million tonnes of carbon pollution will be reduced or stored instead of entering our atmosphere under the Carbon Farming Initiative.